Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Music City (Nashville, of course)


We literally blew through Nashville and Memphis, so our comments will be as brief as the time we spent in these two Tennessee towns! It's been many years since I was in Nashville on business (I was a music biz guy at one time, in my former life), and when I was there it was...get off the plane, head to some hotel meeting room or someones office, then dinner, or maybe just back to the airport. Done. The only part of town I remembered was around Broadway, where some of the old Honky Tonks are, and Music Row, which looks a lot different these days. Even Country Music has been been hit hard by the economy and the decline of the Record Business. It is still there though, and seems to be about the only category still standing in some form or other. We found the town itself a little on the, well, sort of, uh....ok I'll say it, boringly normal side. Aside from the fact that there's a Trader Joes there (a sort of boringly normal one at that), there was very little we saw that got us going. I'm sure there are some interesting places to eat, but we had a hard time finding something interesting enough to spend our time and $$ on, so we had dinner in our Harvey Kitchen while listening to a live Grand Ole Opry broadcast on WSM radio. Maybe we need to give it another try when we have a bit more time someday....

No comments: